Thursday, September 13, 2012

"With Every Letter" by Sarah Sundin

"With Every Letter" by Sarah Sundin

Lt. Mellie Blake is looking forward to beginning her training as a flight nurse. She is not looking forward to writing a letter to a man she's never met--even if it is anonymous and part of a morale-building program. Lt. Tom MacGilliver, an officer stationed in North Africa, welcomes the idea of an anonymous correspondence--he's been trying to escape his infamous name for years.

As their letters crisscross the Atlantic, Tom and Mellie develop a unique friendship despite not knowing the other's true identity. When both are transferred to Algeria, the two are poised to meet face-to-face for the first time. Will they overcome their fears and reveal who they are, or will their future be held hostage by their pasts?

Combining a flair for romance with excellent research and attention to detail, Sarah Sundin vividly brings to life the perilous challenges of WWII aviation, nursing--and true love. 

I am not a huge fan of World War 1 or 2 novels normally, so I must admit I was surprised I chose this book to review, but the excerpt for the book had me intrigued.  This book didn't hook me right away, but it peaked my interest, so that made me read more and I am so glad I did.

The two main characters were so different but so much the same in their own way.  I was glad that Sarah didn't throw the characters together right away, and built up their relationship and eventual meeting gradually throughout the book.  In fact even I wasn't sure what would happen at one point.

On a side note it was interesting to hear how the in flight nurses helped so much during the transportation of injured servicemen, and how much a boost they were for morale as well.

Stars out of 5 : 4 not my usual genre of book, but enjoyable all the same.  Not familiar with this author, but will look for more of her books.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...