Saturday, February 9, 2013

"A Cast of Stones," by Patrick W. Carr

"A Cast of Stones," by Patrick W. Carr

The Fate of the Kingdom Awaits the Cast of Stones

In the backwater village of Callowford, roustabout Errol Stone is enlisted by a church messenger arriving with urgent missives for the hermit priest in the hills. Eager for coin, Errol agrees to what he thinks will be an easy task, but soon finds himself hunted by deadly assassins. Forced to flee with the priest and a small band of travelers, Errol soon learns he's joined a quest that could change the fate of his kingdom.

Protected for millennia by the heirs of the first king, the kingdom's dynasty nears its end and the selection of the new king begins--but in secret and shadow. As danger mounts, Errol must leave behind the stains and griefs of the past, learn to fight, and discover who is hunting him and his companions and how far they will go to stop the reading of the stones.

This book goes under the genre of Fantasy, so not a type of book I am familiar with at all.  However I must say I got hooked into the story pretty fast and I had to keep on reading to see what happens next.  As I don't usually read this type of book I was a little confused at first about what was going on, but after a couple of chapters you get into the "swing of things," with it.

Errol as the leading character is wonderfully portrayed and so believable.  As this is the first in a series of books I thought it was a good introduction to the series.  It also closed off this first "chapter" in the series quite nicely and it did leave you wanting more.

Stars out of 5 : 4.5 As I said this is not my usual type of book, but really glad I chose it to review it as it's opened my eyes to a whole new section of books.  Well worth the read and not too to way out for novice Fantasy reader like myself.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...