Monday, August 18, 2014

"No Time For Goodbye," by Linwood Barclay

"No Time For Goodbye," by Linwood Barclay


Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke one morning to discover that her entire family–mother, father,brother–had vanished. No note, no trace, no return. Ever.  Now, twenty-five years later, she’ll learn the devastating truth.

Sometimes it’s better not to know. . . .

Cynthia is happily married with a young daughter, a new family. But the story of her old family isn’t over. A strange car in the neighborhood, untraceable phone calls, ominous “gifts”–someone has returned to her hometown to finish what was started twenty-five years ago. And no one’s innocence is guaranteed, not even her own. By the time Cynthia discovers her killer’s shocking identity, it will again be too late . . . even for goodbye.


This is our book for our September book club meeting.  I normally read the book a few days before the meeting, but decided to read this earlier for some reason.  I have never read any books by Linwood Barclay before so didn't know what to expect.  It's called "a thriller," which I found confusing, a murder, mystery would have been a better sub-title I think, but what do I know?

There was plenty of action in the book and with the twists and turns it kept you interested.  I found the character Cynthia hard work for some reason, but I guess unless you had been through the same thing as she had, who knows what you would turn out like?  I did guess a couple of the things in the book, but the one thing; I never saw coming at all.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when that situation unfolded.  I can't say what but it does involve the name/character Connie.

Stars out of 5 : 5 Had me hooked right away.  Wish the character Vince Fleming was featured more, I liked him.  It's a "meaty" book and one you need to pay attention to while you're reading it.  It took me a few days to read it.  I will definitely be checking out his other books.  Well worth you time reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...