Thursday, August 11, 2016

"Scent to Kill," by Chrystle Fiedler

"Scent to Kill," by Chrystle Fiedler

When naturopathic doctor and shop owner Willow McQuade’s ex-boyfriend Simon Lewis invites her to a party for the cast and crew of a new television show at Long Island’s scenic Bixby Estate, she’s most excited to visit the property’s exclusive lavender farm. But a whole field of her favorite stress-reducing herb can’t provide enough soothing support to calm the effects of a murder!

Even the show’s psychic star didn’t predict the demise of Roger Bixby, the estate’s owner and estranged husband of Simon’s new girlfriend. Now Simon, who’s been collared by police, needs Willow’s help to remedy the situation. As Willow snoops about the mansion, offering natural cures to ease the mounting tension, a strange energy—and the discovery of an eerily similar unsolved murder decades earlier—makes her wonder whether the alternative source of the crime might actually be . . . supernatural. Can she find harmony between mind, body, and possibly even spirits before somebody else goes up in smoke?


This book was a mix of enjoying it and being confused with it.  I don't claim to know anything about naturopathic medicine, so was looking forward to learning about it.  At the beginning of each chapter "Dr. McQuade" gave you tips about healthy living and what to take for various ailments.  I ended up being very confused with all the tips and don't feel as though I learned anything.

The story was written in first person, and for some reason I found that annoying.  Plus there was far too much information.  Do I really need to know that Willow was changing the bed sheets when it had absolutely nothing to do with the story.  In this case less information would have been better.

The story itself was interesting and I never did figure out "who did it," so that was a good thing.  

Stars out of 5 : 3 I had hoped I would like this book better than I did.  I would read more in this series as the whole premise of this series is my kind of story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...