Tuesday, November 14, 2017

"All She Left Behind," by Jane Kirkpatrick

"All She Left Behind," by Jane Kirkpatrick


Already well-versed in the natural healing properties of herbs and oils, Jennie Pickett longs to become a doctor. But the Oregon frontier of the 1870s is an unforgiving place--especially for a single mother. To support herself and her young son, Jennie finds work caring for an older woman. When her patient dies, Jennie discovers that her heart has become entangled with the woman's widowed husband, a man many years her senior. Their unlikely romance may lead her to her ultimate goal--but the road forward is uncertain. 

I am a big fan of Jane Kirkpatrick's books.  Add in the historical factor and it is based on a true story, I knew this book would be good.  One thing it brought to light for me was how women's views and rights were not taken into consideration back in the late 1800's.  It touched upon many subjects including dyslexia, domestic abuse and alcohol and drug abuse.  The details in this book make it more life like and you can visualize things so clearly with the way Jane has described everything.

I did find the story a bit slow going to start with, but once you got settled into the book it got more and more interesting.  I found the character list at the front of the book very useful and referred to it often.  The authors notes were really interesting as were the list of Jennie's herbs and oils, both well worth reading.  The story brought to light the hard life the people in the West of the United States had in the late 1800's.  

Stars out of 5 : 4 I found the book a little hard to get involved in at first, but once I was a couple of chapter's in the story got more interesting for me.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading your other blog for years but had no idea about this one - at the moment, I go to bed most evenings, spend a good half hour on the kindle looking for books to download but don't really like getting books just based on the look of their cover or synopsis - I would so much rather hear what other people have thought of it...last night I was so desperate for recommendations I was thinking of just putting up a random post on Facebook asking for some ...and then this morning, lo and behold I find your book review blog ...it couldn't have come at a better time ...so a huge thank you ...from Devon :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your thoughts..........

"The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies

 "The Hidden Palace," by Dinah Jefferies 1925.  Among the ancient honey-coloured walls of the tiny island of Malta, strangers slip...